Recently I’ve had cause to imagine my own personal genie, ready to fulfil my every wish. I want to rub his bottle (!), and command him to indulge me with my wildest dreams. I’d be kind to him, though, because I’ve heard that genies can be nasty if you give them reason to turn against you, though I cannot imagine it of my own genie. I’d make sure he had comfortable surroundings, perhaps with a cat to keep him company, lots of good music and books, nice food and wine and whisky, and an interesting neighbourhood to explore, full of entertaining characters to keep him amused when he is not carrying out my every command. He could have friends to visit in his bottle if he liked, and perhaps (like Major Nelson visited Jeannie) I could join them for stimulating conversation, or some good food and red wine.
In addition to the obvious wishes (health and happiness, the elimination of disease and poverty, riches), I’d order up:
- hair that would never turn grey
- teleportation instead of long plane flights
- self-cleaning carpet, kitchens and bathrooms
- calorie-free wine, cheese and chocolate
- a TARDIS for my husband to travel space, and so I could speak any language I wanted
- Oh, and world peace too, of course.
What would be on your list?